Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but...

I'm surprising myself with this. For the moment I'll assume that I'll be willing to share my knitting-related thinking with others. Why do I feel like I need to have a blog? Some have expressed concern that the advent of ravelry will drive blogs out of business. For me it's exactly the opposite: because I'm at ravelry I feel the need to have a blog as well. I've been working on a pair of mittens, and it would be very elegant to just be able to add posts into my project page, instead of just writing everything I've thought into the "project details" page.

Today is a great day for me: I can add my first finished object to ravelry. It is the pair of mittens, a design I charted myself. I did colorwork for the first time in a while - generally I'm more of a knitting thinker than an actual knitter - but I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Lately I've been going through my knitting books and magazines (Finnish Moda and the ever-wonderful Interweave knits) and the internet looking for interesting ideas and techniques and I recently dedicated a sketchbook to only knitting and sewing-related activities. It's a big step for me. I'm thinking that I'll create some patterns from my ideas and see how others respond. I'm working on a "3d cowl" at the moment. I love the actual writing of the pattern, but am struggling with the details. A picture of the preliminary swatch to follow at some point...

My plan for this blog is to document lightly what knitting-related activities I take upon myself and what interesting things I find in the internet and physical craft worlds.

Dear reader, if you exist, do not expect meticulous updates. But when I do update, I'll be delighted if you find something interesting through me. Happy knitting! (or more poignantly, thinking about it!)

No comments: