Thursday, October 30, 2008

Swatching in progress

reading and loving some Berroco designs (go Norah!), reading Domino knitting, Mary Thomas' Book of Knitting Patterns, Stitch'n'Bitch, Hyvän olon neuleet... 

Well, it seems that I'm finally knitting. Swatching, that is. I got annoyed with my 3d cowl because I came up with a possibility after I had knit the entire row that I would've tested the idea on (had I had the sense to really think through where and how I want my partial binding off to go I could've omitted the need to go back...). Now I'm mad at my project for not telling me about what I could've done earlier... I'm not willing to frog my "progress" just now. 

Consequently I have decided to focus on a vague idea of a classic-style cardigan I've had for a couple of days. I'm swatching for it but mostly I'm enjoying the freedom to test whatever strikes me as wof Knitorthy of it. I'm using a horribly coloured cotton yarn I bought from huuto.net (Finnish ebay equivalent) in the Spring. This post is prompted by a terribly faulty (and swiftly frogged) attempt at brioche stitch. I think that I need to consult the internet since I couldn't decipher the meaning of Mary Thomas' directions from her Book of Knitting Patterns (O, anyone?). 

Here are today's test knits: 

First I tested an idea I have for a button band or perhaps a neckline. My idea for using a crochet hook to bridge the rows worked fine, I think. 

Then I tried using twisted stitches (or racking, as it's called in machine knitting?) on a base of 2+2 rib. And learned one way to do a tubular cast on for 2+2 rib. 

Finally I used a 1+1 tubular cast on and tested 4 methods of bobble-making, as well as tried a (1 to 5 and back) nupp (the first one on the left). 

I feel rather accomplished now. I really wonder if any of my designs (apart from the pair of mittens which still astound me with their mere existence) makes it into a finished pattern/object soon. But the doubt doesn't matter since I'm happy to test possibilities now; all is well. 

No comments: