Monday, October 20, 2008

My first finished object at ravelry and knitting overload

Current reading:
IK w06, IK f06, IK s06
Designing Knitwear by Deborah Newton
Knitwear in Fashion by Sandy Black

Designers I'm researching: people mentioned by wallpaper in their October 08 issue, loving Lutz & Patmos at the moment. (others were old acquaintance Sandra Backlund, Ria Thomas & Simone Shailes)

The reason for this blog is, at least indirectly, this pair of mittens:


The insides bear the near ubiquitous markings:


This is the first finished object (yarn tails hidden and all) in a very long time, even though I've been obsessed-ish about knitting for a while now. Ravelry is probably the sole reason these are finished! What did I learn by making these? I'm confident now that I can indeed knit a pair of mittens (and that it's not as boring as I used to think) and know what to do better in the next pair I knit. I'd like for the thumbs to be hand-specific. These are uni-hand only because I forgot to think about putting the thumb increases somewhere besides the outside edge of the hand. The most annoying "mistake" in these is that the thumbs are identical, i.e. they are not perfectly mirrored. That's something I'll definitely change if I knit another pair.
I'm thinking that palm side could be more beautiful but as a first attempt I'm relatively satisfied. The outside is a traditional Finnish wave (from peräseinäjoki mittens) turned vertical.

What to do now that these are finished? I've collected so many ideas I don't know where to start, I'd like to design something until a finished garment appears. The most conceptualised idea I've got now has got me annoyed because I've listed the details that need to be thought out but am not exactly too motivated to work on them yet. However here's a glimpse to the project: my preliminary swatch for a 3d cowl.


What to pick now? To read the books I got from the library? Continue thinking about a mohair project that I started yesterday..? Chart the earrings I've got in mind as a small project? To be continued...

No comments: