Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A finished cowl! - or "neckwarmer with holsters"

After a few days' knitting the "3d cowl" (what a stupid name, I'm thinking...) is "finished". I'll rename this project, perhaps I'll call it "neckwarmer with holsters" for now. I really made the finishing rather badly because I'm mainly interested in presenting the final object at ravelry. And maybe, if people want, I will make this project into a pattern. I'm satisfied with the look of my double knit (not real double knitting, mind you, just 2 layers of stockinette - the middle was knit in the round and the beginning and ending areas were a stockinette strip that I folded onto itself by using a 3-needle bind off) areas but they were difficult to make. I can't imagine anyone wanting to do the same so if I make this into a pattern I'll rethink those areas. As it was, I yo'd after every stitch on the row I wanted to start the double knitting and put those loops on another circular needle on the next row. But having the circs in the knitting meant that it was difficult to knit, and the stitches on the double start row were looser than on the other rows. Really it would be best to use scrap yarn to hold the additional stitches... I'll think about it.

My explanations are probably rather difficult to understand, but here is a picture of the finished cowl. I'll post it to ravelry in a while - can't wait for comments, if anyone finds it... 

And an artsyfartsy photo for those who can appreciate a dirty mirror ;) 

No comments: