Thursday, November 27, 2008

Looking for New Pathways for Sock Knitters

I've been inspired to knit socks by the book Socks, socks, socks. But not from that book, at least not yet.  After some wandering around the sock universe at ravelry and knitting blogs I've got my mind set on Cat Bordhi's new sock knitting architectures. Needless to say I've been tracking down her book New Pathways for Sock Knitters (book 1). My place to go for quickly delivered cheap books, the Book Depository, is of no help this time. The cheapest new one I've found so far would cost me around 30 euros with shipping, so I'm still thinking it through. 

However, I found out that one of Bordhi's new master sock patterns is available for free. And it's the one that initially interested me the most, as well, the Coriolis sock pattern! I found the pattern late last night and cast on a while ago. I've misplaced the needles I need for the project, as well as my knitting markers (the 4 or so I own) so frustration is not far away now; I've only been able to knit the beginning garter stitch square. I read through the directions and they seem somewhat complicated but I'm sure that I'll be able to figure them out. And the inch measurements, it annoys me to no end that measurements are only given in inches. But I was lucky that I found the yarn called for, Austermann Step, from my stash. (That is a first!) I'm excited since not only will I a) knit socks for the first time in 10 years, and second time overall b) try the magic loop technique and c) try something pretty much revolutionary in the knitting world. 

I'm sure that I'll end up buying the book at some point. I believe that the book is just the kind of knitting book I prefer. Revolutionary ideas and a good variation of ideas for applying them in different projects. 

2 comments:

Paavo said...

buy the book, or i will. you deserve it. for christmas maybe?

thinker said...

Hey!
I ordered the book, I found a place to get it for approximately 27 euros.. thanks for the encouragement!